Contests and Awards
Daniel M. Phillips Leadership Award
The National Newspaper Association established this award in 2007 to honor Daniel Morris “Dan” Phillips, an award-winning writer and photographer who passed away in 2005 at the age of 47. He began his career as a staff writer at The Natchez Democrat before taking the job of managing editor for The Russellville (AL) Times. He returned to his family’s newspaper, The Oxford (MS) Eagle, in 1983 and was an assistant publisher and stockholder. He served in several leadership positions with the National Newspaper Association, including a term as president in 1999-2000, and was appointed to a second one-year at-large term on the NNA board for 2004-05. As president of the Mississippi Press Association in 1997-98, he was instrumental in forming the Mississippi Center for Freedom of Information, headquartered at the University of Mississippi. He was named among the “Top 40 Under 40” of state business leaders by the Mississippi Business Journal in 1998. That same year, the UM Department of Journalism recognized him as one of its top 50 alumni as part of the school’s 50th anniversary celebration.
The winner will be notified in July and the Daniel M. Phillips Leadership Award will be presented at NNA's Annual Convention in the fall.
2008 Phillips Award Winner
- Nominee must be between 23-40 years old, well respected in the community, be of good reputation and integrity
- provide active leadership in the newspaper industry and be active in his or her state press association and community
- Nominees must be an NNA member, and although NNA involvement is encouraged, other merits will be taken into consideration in determining the award winner (NNA involvement is not required)
- Nominations will be accepted annually Jan. 1 through May 31
Who may submit a nomination?
- Anyone may submit a nomination for an individual. Self nominations will not be accepted
What documentation is needed?
- Letter of Nomination using and incorporating above criteria
- Nomination Form
If your nominee is among the top five candidates selected by the judges, you will be contacted and asked to submit the following:
- Three (3) letters to support the nomination from community leaders and/or professional peers
- Documentation to support nomination criteria
- Biographical sketch of nominee
- Photo (if available)
- By telephone at (800) 829-4NNA (4662), option 2, or (573) 882-5800
- By e-mail at email@example.com
- By mail at
ATTN: Daniel M. Philips Leadership Award
P.O. Box 7540
Columbia, MO 65205-7540
* Adobe Reader 8 is required to view the above PDF form. Click here for the free download from Adobe.